Sunday, August 23, 2015

Patience Is A Lost Art

Today, I headed into town to get a fill up on our gas tank. As I tried my card at the pump, it wouldn't work. I grabbed my purse, a little miffed about, 'this is ridiculous!'. Walking up to the check stand, I notice a bunch of people waiting in line...this might take awhile. I try to keep calm.



Awhile after I'd been waiting, I know I needed to either decide to blow up and leave, or take a deep breath and keep waiting with a smile on my face...in the instant I decided to wait and put a smile on my face (because I really had nothing pressing to be in such an all fired hurry for!), the gentleman in front of me stormed off, jumped into his truck, and revved his engine, peeling out of the gas station, around the gas station, still revving his engine and squealing tires...all the way down the street. He was very impatient.

That would have been me.

And I had a few thoughts float through my head, during this experience. 

  • If he was nearly out of gas, he'd surely be out now!
  • Because of inconvenience, someone decided to get into their vehicle and drive dangerously, recklessly. 
  • We have lost the ability to think, take deep breaths, and be patient. 
  • In decades past, people always had to do things that took a little more time, and little more effort...they were better people than these generations now, of entitled people...
  • Oh Lord, let me be willing to take a breath and be patient, and not blow my top. 
  • And Lord, please keep him safe, and those around him safe!
Thinking about that right now, I know that this was a teaching moment, in more than just the gas pump. Relationship in my little family have been strained, and this situation showed me just how vital it is to keep calm, be patient, and take deep breaths. Also...most importantly...calling on G-d to help us do that!

**I had an opportunity to go back to the teller at the pay station...just her and myself, to get my change. I looked her in the eyes, and said, "May God bless you today, and give you strength." She said thank you, it's been a rough day. I smiled at her, and said I understood she did. She needed someone to be kind to her. She needed someone to smile at her. She looked stressed, frazzled and ready for the day to end. :( 

Thankfully, for today...I've heard His voice, and hesitated long enough to seek Him...and He has answered. Will you take a moment, and seek Him, before losing control? 


No comments:

Post a Comment