Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Faith - Then and Now

If you believe in something so much, you've staked your entire life on it, and your eternal one, would you spend the time to make sure it's on a solid foundation?



I'd have said yes, once upon a time. With a resounding yes. And would have been 100% sure I knew my faith. I thought I really questioned everything. I always asked why, wasn't that enough?

Then someone asked me a question, that started a ball rolling in my head. And my eyes and fingers started searching the Scriptures for the answer. It rocked my little world.

What I thought had been my faith, wasn't indeed faith...it was tradition. And we all mostly know what Jesus said about those who followed traditions more than His Word. (In case you don't know, He called those who follow man's traditions, brood of vipers, and other such things)

I admit to being angry. Confused. Worried I was headed the wrong direction. I mean...how can many generations get it so wrong, right? I felt like my foundation was quicksand, and yet it wasn't.

For a long time, years really, I'd always wondered why we weren't taught from the Old Testament, as often as we were from the New. Wasn't the whole Word of God good, and for our use? I'd brush that thought off, thinking that my pastors must know what they are doing. And no doubt, I've been convicted and changed through their teachings over the years, all the same. But always, I'd come back too, "But what about the other books of the Bible?"

I also always had a love of the Jewish people. A need to rise up in defense and love for them. They are, after all, God's chosen people. From them Jesus came to this world and saved us. For that alone, I'd love them. I’d passingly wonder why we didn’t practice the feasts and celebrations of His people...but give it no other thought than that.

But today, I can say this: Jewish feasts and festivals, are in fact, GOD'S chosen feasts and celebrations. He made these days for us, to use to celebrate Him, to see the promise of Christ. They pointed to Him, and they still do today. These holy days are His, and for worship of Him. None of the Christian holy days are found in the Word of God...and that made me wonder. It made me confused. And frankly...really sad. A few of these days were my very favorite ones. And here I find that they are not from Him. He was never in them. He never said they were okay. The New Testament scriptures never tell us to celebrate His birth, and call it Christmas. His death was on and around Passover...not something called Easter.

These are manmade traditions, and they have many pagan roots in them. The atheists are right. I’d always brushed them off, telling myself they didn’t know what they spoke of. However, I’ve found that many non-believers know the Word of God, better than most Christians do. They just choose to not believe in God, or His Son, Christ.  

And that hurt, to realize this.

So this is where I am today...knowing that the faith I believed it, wasn’t complete, growing up. Holidays that I thought honored God, didn’t. He hated them, in fact. And if I...who professes to LOVE Him, continue in these things...do not in reality love Him. I love Him with a false love, and love of self.

So no...I do not and will not celebrate Easter, or Christmas again. I will celebrate Passover, and Hanukkah instead. I won’t replace one day with another though, I will do it as closely as it gets to the Word. And seek Him always, in my endeavors.

I still searching His Word, checking myself and my thoughts against His Word. Trying to forget all of the traditions and things I’ve thought before. And if, in this searching, something from my old ways holds up, I’ll continue with it. But if it doesn’t hold up to the Word of God...and if I say I love Him...then it goes away from me. For darkness has no place with light, and once I’ve forsaken the death of sin, why would I take it back up again? For Christ has permanently severed the bondage of sin, for those who repent and follow after Him.

Won’t you follow after Him, and forsake all...even traditions of your youth?

2 comments:

  1. It's a journey, isn't it Peggy :) I am 41 years old, and most of those years I have believed a certain way, because I thought it was right. But, day by day, scripture by scripture, my heart is being turned to what is real and everlasting. Wonderful that you are searching and looking for the truth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Channon,
      It is a journey. It's like reading through His Word anew, and it's invigorating, actually! I can't wait to see what else He shows me, along the way. :)

      Delete